It’s been a crazy few years! If you’re looking for fun ideas for the family and kids this summer, here are 100+ summer bucket list ideas that are kid-friendly and budget-friendly! Free printable available! Keep reading to get inspired for fun for the whole family!
Creative and Fun Activities for Kids Throughout the Summer
Life has been crazy these past few years.
I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s had to rethink their plans and come up with something new.
For that reason, we had to learn to re-invent the wheel a bit when it comes to summer fun.
One good thing from the past few years, now that we are finally in a post-Covid world, is that we pushed our creativity to the limits and really learned how to enjoy our families and what is most important.
From that experience, I’ve compiled tried and true summer boredom busters you can work your way though all summer long.
Summer Bucket List Free Printables PDF Download
This is my favorite, ultimate Summer Bucket List. Essentially, these are real fun activities for kids, ones that you can sorta pull out of a hat, that don’t require a lot of preparation.
Most are free, though some may have a little cost involved (food, etc.).
This list is NOT meant to be pressure or another to-do list. It’s just a tool, something handy to give you ideas to keep things fresh and new.
And really, not-so-new. A lot of these are what kids would do in days past for a good, old-fashioned fun summer, before we got so high-tech and feeling like mom needed to be the camp counselor or cruise director of entertainment.
You can write a few down, put them in a jar, and pick randomly. You can let your kids choose. Or you can never show them the list and you choose, and you’ll seem like the most fun mom ever!
Do a few, do most, do them all – totally up to what fits your family.
The list comes with check boxes if you want to keep track. There’s also a blank version if you want to create your own custom summer bucket list!
You can grab the free printable at the end of the post for easy reference!
OK, on to the activities that will make summer a blast for you and your kids!
100+ Ideas for the Whole Family: Summer Bucket List
- Stargaze and look at constellations
- Camp out: living room, backyard or legit camping (Grab these free camping printables for extra fun!)
- Make a bonfire with S’mores
- Play in the sprinkler or with a hose
- Set up an obstacle or ninja course
- Set up a water obstacle course
- Play old school outdoor games (tag, capture the flag, kick the can, jacks, hide & seek)
- Play hopscotch
- Jump rope
- Take a bike ride on the trails or in the country
- Watch the sunset at the beach or lake
- See fireworks
- Make homemade ice cream
- Invent new popsicle combinations
- Make an ice cream float
- Go on a nature walk or hike
- Swim at night
- Visit a farmer’s market
- Build a blanket and pillow fort
- Build an outdoor fort in the yard
- Spend the afternoon lazy river tubing
- Go kayaking or canoeing
- Go on a day trip
- Have a watermelon seed spitting contest
- Go to a concert or see a show in the park
- Write chalk messages on the sidewalk
- Have a water war with water balloons or water guns
- Have a family game night outdoors
- Have an ultimate frisbee game
- Play outdoor sports: wiffleball, kickball, badminton, volleyball, etc.
- Go fruit picking (whatever is in season)
- Attend a fair
- Do a photoshoot in the park
- Learn to fly a kite
- Plant flowers or a garden
- Have a picnic in the park
- Go to the drive-in
- Try geocaching
- Make a bird feeder and track the kinds of birds that come
- Catch frogs, worms, and fireflies (and then release!)
- Pay for someone at the drive-thru
- Perform random acts of kindness (Get some ideas Acts of Kindness Ideas here and Creative Ways Kids Can Give Back here!)
- Learn to skip rocks
- Make paper boats to put in a stream
- Have a scavenger hunt (Check out some fun scavenger hunts here!)
- Learn a new craft (painting, jewelry making, sewing, etc)
- Write and/or film a movie
- Have a Lego-building contest
- Get henna tattoos
- Movie marathon or binge-watching day
- Late-night restaurant/fast-food run
- Watch a local sports event
- Have a hula hoop contest
- Choreograph and make up dances to your favorite songs
- Have a dance party
- Set up a backyard movie
- Play in the rain and jump in puddles
- Make a scrapbook
- Do a family puzzle
- Play flashlight tag
- Visit a splash pad
- Wash the cars and bikes (and toy trucks and cars!)
- Have a lemonade stand
- Go fishing
- Eat breakfast for dinner
- Go on a breakfast picnic
- Climb trees
- Feed the ducks
- Make tie-dye shirts
- Photo scavenger hunt (if you’re planning on camping, definitely check out this one!)
- Build something with things at home (woodworking is a fun option!)
- Go for a walk at night
- Roast hotdogs and eat foil pack dinners
- Eat foil pack meals
- Paint kindness rocks and distribute
- Eat someplace new
- Watch a caterpillar turn to a butterfly
- Play frisbee
- Have a water balloon pinata
- Go to the beach
- Create a time capsule
- Make a slip-n-slide
- Go to the zoo/aquarium
- Selfie challenge
- Play lawn games
- Go foraging
- Attend library activities
- Make homemade grilled pizzas
- Have an Uno tournament
- Watch a sunrise
- Take a nap outside
- Read a new book series
- Play mini-golf
- Go roller-skating or rollerblading
- Go bowling
- Celebrate Christmas in July
- Find a water hole
- Visit a state park
- Pajama day
- Have a luau or theme party
- Explore somewhere new
- Karaoke night
- Visit a trampoline park
I hope I gave you some fun ideas to keep your summer moving in a fun direction!
Life gets busy, but here are still a ton of good times to be had and memories to be made. It’s really what you make of what you have, and who you’re with.
And if the family is healthy and together, you’re so much better off than so many. This summer bucket list can help make this year even better than you imagined!
If these ideas don’t work, feel free to fill out the blank version and create your own!
Be sure to grab the free printable PDF download at the very end of the post!
More Summer Fun and Staycation Ideas
If you aren’t traveling this summer, check out these 50 Memorable Staycation Ideas.
And if you need some ideas just to keep the kids busy at home – quick, easy, low-prep activities, here are 70 (some overlap to this list) that wouldn’t necessarily be ‘bucket list’ items but more like boredom busters!
If you like some kind of routine or system to organize your summer fun, check out this complete summer schedule for kids template, which has theme ideas for every day!
Or if a planner is more your style, try this family summer planner free printable – a 15 page PDF with everything you need for a smooth summer!
If you need a few more options, subscription boxes are another fun choice to keep the kids busy (and entertained and learning!) So many to choose from!
And if you want to keep the kids moving, even on rainy days, here are some exercise videos for kids (and moms) on YouTube as another option for TV – but at least they’re moving!
More Seasonal Activities for Kids and Families
If you’re type A and looking ahead, check out these fun, family-and-kid-friendly activities and ideas!
If you try some ideas, take some pictures and let me know! Tag me on Instagram @100affections or leave a comment on Pinterest!
Grab the Summer Bucket List Free Printable!
If you need a free printable to make things easier, you can grab it here! Just fill out your email address below!
Thoughts? I’d love to hear them! Leave a comment below!